Thursday, April 3, 2008

The POD has arrived!


My belongings are in my possession once again! My POD (Portable On Demand Storage) arrived this morning at 7:30am. The PODS are pretty awesome if you are planning a long-distance and move. My Uncle Tom recommended it after his move from Oklahoma City to Kansas City and overall I've been pleased. It isn't cheap, but when you weigh it against driving a U-Haul across the country, staying in hotels and paying for gas, it comes out even. The picture is of the delivery man putting the truck back together after dropping the POD in our parking space. It's like a huge remote control toy and Transformer. So cool! I wish I had taken more photos or a video of the unloading process. I was amazed at how easily these guys maneuver this large equipment.

The delivery man was very nice and had me open the POD to make sure everything looked OK and nothing had shifted toward the door. I opened it up and it was perfect. Nothing had shifted at all in the cross-country adventure. The delivery guy looked at me and said with a bit of awe and admiration, "That is the most professional-looking job I've ever seen. I wish everyone would tie down their belongings." I couldn't take any credit at all; my dear stepdad Dave spent his spring break tying everything down and expertly packing the POD so everything would arrive in one piece. I can't even express how grateful I am for his help.

Once I got the boxes unloaded (and Mike came home to help me with the large items at the back), I was again incredibly grateful for the help of my parents. My mom spent much time in my tiny studio helping me wrap everything and pack it into boxes in her efficient, anal (I mean that with much affection) way. I've unpacked most of the boxes marked fragile and again, everything is perfect. Not a single scratched or chipped item in the lot. Amazing. This stuff has gone from San Francisco to Chico via U-Haul, and then on to Virginia on a truck. I fully expected a couple of martini glasses or picture frames to be sacrificed but nope. I'm pretty sure my mom has missed her calling as a professional organizer. Seriously.

And thank goodness for my Dad and Judy; the U-Haul would never have been packed in time for me to vacate my apartment if they hadn't shown up and provided me with the first batch of packing supplies. Experienced movers, they also brought much calm and zen as I freaked out repeatedly. Where would I be without my family?

By the time Mike comes back from drill on Tuesday (happy driving, Honey!) everything will have a place and hopefully feel more like our home.

No comments: