Saturday, March 29, 2008

Bad Boys, Bad Boys...

Well, it was bound to happen: I had my first run-in with the military police.

Mike and I stopped in Quantico to get some sushi take-out for the rockin' Saturday night we had planned (sushi, wine, Battlestar Galactica - good times). As we were heading out of the gate to the base, an MP came out of nowhere and pulled us over.

While we waited for the guy to come up to the window, we tried to figure out what happened and I immediately went into "let's get out of this ticket" mode. Unfortunately I wasn't wearing a halter top, nor am I 22 anymore. I've never been able to cry on cue. I went to plan C: plead explosive diarrhea and pray to God I never see this guy again.

Mike had a much more straightforward approach: wait for the MP to approach our window and deal with it from there. Apparently he sped past the MCX/Commissary (grocery store); the speed limit drops from 35 to 25MPH and neither one of us noticed. Mike was going 41. Oops.

Anyway, the MP was super nice and let us off with a warning. Since Mike had no previous tickets and wasn't driving recklessly, he politely suggested we pay attention when driving around base. I am not being the least bit sarcastic when I say he "politely suggested" anything. This kid (I swear he was 16 but is at least 21) was so nice, he almost seemed apologetic about the whole thing. Definitely authoritative, what with the gun and all, but respectful. He saluted Mike and wished us a good day.

Although Mike was completely cool during the whole thing, his exasperation with me (and my diarrhea suggestions) was apparent when I asked if it would be OK to have my picture taken with the MP to document the moment. I haven't been here a week and already I'm aging the poor guy.

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

Explosive diarrhea? Where in the world would you have gotten the idea for that excuse?!?! ;P