Monday, June 9, 2008

It Doesn't Have to be This Way

This is what a happy bridesmaid looks like. The best man doesn't look tortured, either.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/06/09/lw.too.broke.maid.honor/index.html?eref=rss_latest

This article gave me a bit of a flashback to 2005-2007, otherwise known as "The Years of Bridesmaiding." You'd think my sense of indignation would be directed at the Bridezillas who know that their grad student bridesmaids cannot afford the $500 couture gown and yet expect it anyway. Well, yes, I think these women are selfish, delusional freaks. But my real sense of "What are you thinking?" is directed towards the bridesmaids who say "Yes!" with a smile and then go on to complain about taking out a home equity line of credit or selling organs to wear peach taffeta for four hours.

I have had the honor of serving in four weddings and the horror of serving in one. In retrospect, I should have told my Bridezilla to shove her tacky wedding where the sun don't shine, stay home and save myself the headaches and the money. But... sometimes I need to touch the stove - and maybe shove my face against it to drive the point home - before I learn my lesson. So, while her behavior was abhorrent and inexcusable, I allowed it to happen and never put the breaks on the whole fiasco. Not shockingly, I have not spoken to this woman since her wedding day.

In all fairness, I have to give credit to the brides who had reasonable expectations* (buy the dress, show up, be sober for the photos**) and didn't make me feel like garbage when I said, "You know what? I can't do XYZ." Because these women are true friends, they listened and realized that friendships should not be collateral damage in the course of planning a wedding. Lili and Eileen: You Rock! Mom and Judy: I'm sure you were nice because you figured I'd play a part in choosing your nursing home one day. Well played ladies. You are safe. For now.



*None of my friends would ask me not to hit on fellow wedding party members because they know that's not how I roll.
**But once the bar is open and the dancing starts all bets are off!

No comments: